Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vagina Monologues 2010


Women's Resource Center Presents Vagina Monologues on Valentine's Day.





I remember when Eve Ensler first produced the Vagina Monologues and how I wanted to see it. As small groups produced it around the country my hope grew, but this was the first time I actually saw a production. I learned Eve continues to travel the world collecting more monologues, and the script has grown into many modules, which local players can choose from. A tradition has grown for worldwide performances on Valentine's Day. It is abbreviated V-Day for Victory, Valentine's and Vagina.

 

There is much humor and some witty irony sandwiched with vignettes from around the world of women treated abysmally by men, or by their culture in general. After a funny bit, laughter could turn to tears as a graphic story of rape or genital mutilation unfolded. It is a powerful drama, and was performed with strength and spirit by university students.




I have never understood how some men could treat women the way they do, and I understand why some women would have angry vaginas.

My #1 camera is out of commission, and my back up doesn't give me the resolution I want, but I did my best to capture this event, because I think it very important. There is a set on flickr. If you click on the set for Valentine's Day Vagina Monologues, and then start the slide show, it will actually play in order from opening curtain to finale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment