Saturday, February 12, 2011

First Friday--Feb, 2011

Wolf Redboy @the Break


Wolf Redboy has consistently produced some of the most original music in Zootown. On First Friday, he brought his newest music and songs to the Break. He also had some new players with him.

Nate Biehl

Mickie

Louie Bond was on sound and waiting in the wings for the right number to join in. Previous commitments took me elsewhere, and I'm wondering when we will see more of this combo.

Family Friday and DIY @the Hat


Ello played a tight, rocking set for the early 6-8 show at the Top Hat. 



The Top Hat has family friendly hours every Thursday and Friday, 6-8pm. Kids are welcome and sometimes take over the dance floor and the pool tables. Thursday performers rotate on a monthly basis, while Friday nights are  individually booked. I'll be covering more of this soon, and catching up a bunch. I have images of Stellarondo and Butter, previous monthly artists, as well as the current group Black Mountain Moan. 


DIY is a First Friday arts and crafts fair. On this night, February 4, 2011, Jason was creating a new painting, and the place was full of beautiful homemade crafts and beautiful craft persons.


Ax Raccoons @the Palace


Madison Schroeder leaped back into the Palace action with her latest band, Ax Raccoons. 



Yes, Mary is back from Minneapolis. She played in previous bands with Madison, and also with Thomas Pendarvis.



Each of these events has its own set over on the flickr archive, with these and more images captured on Friday, February 4, 2011.

When I was young, old folks sometimes described down times as "being under the weather." Since I've loved the weather in all it's diversity this winter, I don't want to use that phrase. I have, however, not been firing on all cylinders for a few months. It is time to start moving again. I have a ton of photos to review and so much more to say about the Zootown scene. 

Go Comics is a large alphabetized listing of comics; Arcamax is a smaller listing, but has some not on the other list. I put those links up in the right column. I recommend starting every day with a few laughs. Laughter really is the best medicine, and music is a close second. Therefore, I also recommend getting out to a local venue to support your favorite band, or to check out a new band, and to support Zootown health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment