Monday, July 21, 2008

Reverend Slanky, Block Party, Some Personal Shit and More

Reverend Slanky capped a full day of music, fashion, food and fun at the Hip Strip Block Party Saturday. Secret Powers played earlier. Some photos of them may be found on the flickr archive. See the link to the right on this page. I'll cover this event soon, with more photos.





I've bitched and moaned about not making a living as a photographer long enough. Dammit, if you can't beat them, join them. I will not give up my passion, but I've succumbed to the need for supplemental income.

The beard has been trimmed, and the hair buzzed. I have a new part-time, slightly irregular job with a varied and unpredictable schedule. Job hunting and dealing with bureaucracy gobbled up most of my time over the last 10 days. Thus the blog went several days without a post. My fingers are crossed, as I hope the new job will provide enough additional income to keep food in my stomach and a roof over my head, while not devouring my life and making me a total wage slave.

Tomorrow is a very early day at my new job. Before retiring, I want to take a quick turn around the scene.

I still think Joe leaving Black Velvet Elvis is the biggest music story around. That group has been one of my favorites, since the first time I saw them. Everyone should turn out for their final performance together, during Total Fest, coming to the Badlander, August 14-16.

An executive decision has halted all performances at Dauphine's. It had been serving as an all ages performance venue, while tangled politics made the Youth Center unavailable.

Tangled politics also continue to cause problems at the Senior Center.

Politics are a pain in the ass, and "politically correct" is an oxymoron. If it's correct, it isn't political. And, if it's political, it sure as hell isn't correct.

The last local performance by Good Neighbor Policy was covered here and by other media. Another hit to the local music scene is the upcoming dispersion of Arrows to the Sun. Their final performance will be Wednesday, July 23, at the Bike Doctor's on O'Toole.

Good night and good luck.

3 comments:

  1. Charles, my love, a real giving-in-to-the-man type job? I had to do the same.

    I really really miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles doesn't give in to the man. He IS the Man. Not "the man", dig? THE MAN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trimmed the beard?!? Say it ain't so, Charles! Ah, it's only hair. And believe me, your strength is in your eye, not your hair.
    Tell you what, I'll grow one in your honor, bud. See you next Thursday night downtown, unless you're working!

    ReplyDelete