Thursday, May 21, 2009

Kitchenpoet on the Road


The lyrics to the song, On the Road Again, are playing in my head, as the showers are playing hopscotch on the plains. 


Somewhere in Wyoming, my attention is captured by a field full of...



I'm at a red light, on the streets of Denver, when some dancing maidens catch my eye.


I hate to drive through Denver without stopping at one of the Tattered Cover locations. For those who don't know, it is the flagship bookstore of Colorado, with three locations in Denver. I have been accused of having a potty mouth, and I will admit my mind is often in the toilet. Did anyone expect me to photograph books in a bookstore? Please, that is just too banal.


When my friends in Kansas outgrew their house, the barn was converted into a new home.


Ataloa Lodge was the home of the founder and first president of Bacone College, in Muskogee, Oklahoma. He and is wife were interested in Indians and spent a large part of their time visiting them and collecting their art. Their old home is now a very nice little museum, which doesn't get the attention of the Museum of the Five Civilized Tribes, which is also in Muskogee, but it is a sweet secret.


This is part of their point collection. My favorite thing is a huge case full of Kachina figures from the southwest. 



Chief Joseph was imprisoned at Tonkawa, and the founder and his wife were regular visitors there. These items belonged to Joseph. That's one of his tobacco pouches at the bottom of the photo. The situation was grim for the prisoners at Tonkawa, and two of Joseph's children died there. 

I didn't want to make this trip, and I really miss Missoula, but I'm making the most of it and hope to head home soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment