Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tom Catmull Starts a Fire









This crazy fucking drummer was almost calm for a change, as Tom  rocked it the way he always does, on Sunday, March 7, when Tom Catmull and the Clerics opened for Backyard Tire Fire at the Top Hat.



Visually, Backyard Tire Fire offered little material for a photographer, but aurally, these cats could play. They had done their time, paid their dues, had every note in place, and played them with strength. 


I must confess I had never heard of these guys before the ads for this event went up. When I checked their pedigree, I found they had opened for, toured with, or were friends with, writing songs with some of my favorite bands including Govt Mule, Cracker, Horton Heat and the Squirrel Nut Zippers. Knowing that, I had to make this show, and I am so glad I did.


Zootown, where were you that Sunday night, when two excellent bands put on terrific performances at the Top Hat? I must say the witnesses present did show great spirit, but bands this good deserve a larger audience.

More images from this event are here  flickr. BTF has their own set of 12, and Tom has a set of images combined from this night and the last gig at the Union Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment