Thursday, August 27, 2009

Saturday


Elephant Revival kept me up late Friday night, and I was slow rising, shining and getting around the next day. I had to do the markets, as usual, and I was scooting up Higgins to the Circle Square Market, near the depot, because it closes first, when I saw some music making across the street. I made a quick detour to capture a tune or two. A bystander thought he should be the subject of my documentation.





After one clear shot, I continued to the Xs to handle some grocery shopping. The tokens purchased with foodstamps, had been replaced with smaller, more practical, plastic chits, which didn't have the same organic feel as the wooden coins.



At the Peoples' Market two of my friends were being particularly orange...and having a good time, too.


One addition to the usual Saturday itinerary was the Total Fest music swap in Big Dipper's parking lot. I arrived in time to hear most of the third and final performance of the morning. There was a friendly crowd, some ice cream eating, band merchandise for sale and music way off the beaten path. Let's have a hallelujah and two amens for originality.




I can't walk by Tsunami without taking a quick look. Lord, I love this place where toys and art meet. The force is strong here.




Those colorful creations in the back corner by the books are by Kinch, and I love his stuff. If you haven't checked this place out, get your ass in there. This is another zootown hipnhot spot.


Total Fest was the big event of the weekend, and I wangled my way in there on the final night. Next year, I must plan ahead and get my press pass in order to document the entire event. 50 bands in three days calls for logistical wizardry and a ton of work. This was the eighth annual version of this event, and word has it every year it gets better.




Full Moon Prophets were filling their monthly spot at the Union Club. Remember: never a cover charge at this venue.




Even Kennedy and Johnson seemed to be listening.

Let's see...today is Thursday, and this post covers last Saturday...damn, time flies. To be fair to myself, I covered a lot of ground over a weekend, which started on Thursday evening. There's more in the can to be worked, including Jazz Martini Night, on Sunday, at the Badlander, and Tuesday's open mike at Brooks and Brown. Check back for some coverage of those events.

No comments:

Post a Comment